Localized Appreesh is our thank-you column to the musicians that make the Bay. To be considered, contact email@example.com.
What began life as a side-project for Il Gato drummer Johnny Major has grown into a hyper melodic, can't-miss, feel-good group to know. Or as I breathlessly wrote after catching an early show at the Hemlock: Adios Amigo is pure indie-pop bliss, in the vein of Broken Social Scene and the Shins.
In this one, Major leads as singer-songwriter-guitarist, backed by guitarist Rahi Kumar, bassist Alex Coehn, drummer Stephen Wills, Claire Grinton on keys and fiddle, and percussionist Catalina Atria – along with warm multi-part harmonies put forth by all those involved.
The band released Dos last year, and starts 2013 off right with a headlining gig at Cafe Du Nord. Learn more about Adios Amigo below, but first check out the video for plucky “Chicken” and see how long you can hold out without cracking a grin.
Video Credit: Caitlyn Adkins
Year and location of origin: 2011, San Francisco
Band name origin: Sitting in a cubicle in SOMA, dreaming of escaping to South America, I came up with the name. It means 'Goodbye Friend'.
Band motto: "¡Hasta la victoria siempre!" - "Until victory, always!"
Description of sound in 10 words or less: Grandiose, jangly, guitar-driven, harmonic psych-pop
Instrumentation: Two Guitars, one bass, one keyboard, one drum set.
Most recent release: Dos EP - June, 2012.
Best part about life as a Bay Area band: Living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, being a part of one of the best music scenes in the world, playing awesome venues, great food, liberals.
Worst part about life as a Bay Area band: The rent. Too high.
First album ever purchased: Green Day's Dookie, or the Forrest Gump soundtrack.
Most recent album purchased/downloaded: Tame Impala, Lonerism.
Favorite local eatery and dish: The Little Chihuahua -- Garlic Shrimp Burrito. Everyday.
Most Commented On
- Yes, why oh why don't thse folks just move to Oakland? - May 24, 2013
- Yeah, and in both cases it is the same people who do not trust. - May 24, 2013
- My view is the exact opposite. - May 24, 2013
- Eddie, have you returned here after saying you're quitting? - May 24, 2013
- One more question. - May 24, 2013
- Two questions. - May 24, 2013
- Personal attacks, hah! - May 24, 2013
- David Chiu is basically on - May 24, 2013
- They've driven out Marcos and Eddie from here. - May 24, 2013
- Our labour pool should be drawn from the Bay Area and beyond. - May 24, 2013